WHAT ARE CONSORTIA AND TMCs?
Consortia and TMCs (Travel Management Companies) are large groups of Travel Agencies (TAs) often driven by multi-national companies that have joined together to form a Consortia. Originally started to assist smaller TAs, Consortia have grown dramatically and have become major players in the travel industry.
By joining Consortia and TMCs, TAs can increase the effectiveness of their marketing to their customers by offering competitive rates at hotels worldwide. TAs may operate under one global name, i.e. ABC Corporate Services, or may operate independently while using Consortia relationships and tools.
By participating in Consortia and RFP Services, your RFP process becomes more streamlined and effective because you won’t have to spend valuable time responding to bids, worrying about missed deadlines, or dealing with incomplete RFPs.
Each program has a list of requirements and fees for participation, but the standard requirements may include:
- A minimum of 10% off the lowest single published rate
- Rate parity among all programs
- Last room availability guarantee
- 10% commission
- All rates quoted are to be guaranteed for the entire year starting from January 1 – December 31, unless otherwise noted
HOTEL BENEFITS FROM CONSORTIA AND TMCs
- Increased Visibility. Your hotel will be listed in each program directory and website, and will have a special rate access code through the GDS
- Greater Booking Potential. Travel agents look first at participant hotels when selecting the right property for their clients
- Increased Revenue. These same travel agents generally make higher than average daily rate bookings
- New Marketing Opportunities. Each program contains several opportunities to generate exposure, eventually leading to increased revenue
WHY PARTNER WITH SHR?
- A unique “a la carte” list of Consortia and TMCs for our GDS properties for participation for the following year
- The opportunity to submit bids to 20+ Consortia and TMCs
- Lanyon License and Direct Access to all Consortia and TMC RFPs for one flat fee
- Assurance that your Lanyon property profile and consortia rates are accurately set for bids
- Release and response to all selected Consortia and TMC programs on your behalf
- Centralized program invoicing — all programs, one invoice
- Data management and rate mapping in GDS or Windsurfer® CRS for all Consortia and TMC rates submitted
- An assigned team to deal with RFPs on your behalf
Case Study | The Georgetown Inn
The Georgetown Inn reports that Windsurfer is the number one source of revenue for their hotel now. In fact, they set a revenue record in 2015, and again in 2016. “It’s the different way we’re doing things now because of the system,” Dave said.Learn More
A New Era in CRS
Estella Hale comments on an article claiming the era of the CRS is over.Read More
Got to Have It
Learn about the top ten must-have features your hotel booking engine needs to stay competitive.View Webinar
The Georgetown Inn
See how we helped this hotel better understand its revenue strategy.See Case Study
Ready to Find Your Best Distribution Strategy?
Contact our sales reps, and they’ll walk you through a personalized demo of solutions, tailored to help you grow your hotel business. Learn how to maximize your distribution channels and optimize your revenue management by taking full advantage of our decades of experience in the hospitality industry.Contact Sales
Not Convinced Yet?
Check out our library of hospitality industry resources, including recorded webinars, whiteboard sessions with hospitality experts, and videos of SHR clients sharing how they’ve overcome some of their toughest challenges.Learn More